One-act stage play. Revision of The Stand-Ins written in 1961. First performed at the Criterion Theatre, London, (dir. Robert Chetwyn) on June 17, 1968. First US performance at Brown University, Providence RI, on August 2, 1970. First New York performance at Theatre Four (dir. Joseph Hardy) on April 23, 1972 on a double-bill with After Magritte.
Revived by the Dolphin Company at the Shaw Theatre, London (dir. Nigel Gordon) on November 6, 1972 on a double-bill with After Magritte. Revived at the Young Vic Theatre, London on November 23, 1976 on a double-bill with If You're Glad I'll Be Frank. First Broadway production was at the Criterion Theatre Stage Right on August 13, 1992 on a double-bill with The Fifteen Minute Hamlet. Revived at the Comedy Theatre, London (dir. Greg Doran) on April 22, 1998 [on a double bill with Peter Schaffer's "Black Comedy"].
- The Real Inspector Hound
- Faber and Faber, 1968 [ISBN: 0571085415] 47pp
- Faber and Faber [pb], 1969 [ISBN: 0571085423] 47pp
- Grove Press, 1969 [ISBN: ] 58pp
- Samuel French [pb], 1970 [ISBN: 0573023239] 38pp
- Faber and Faber [revised] [pb], 1970 [ISBN: 0571047270] 47pp
- Samuel French [pb], 1973 [ISBN: ] 49pp *
- The Real Inspector Hound and After Magritte
- The Real Inspector Hound and Other Entertainments
- Tom Stoppard: Plays 1
- The Real Inspector Hound and Other Plays
- Grove/Atlantic Monthly Press [pb], 1998 *